Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Friesen Radio Interview, R.I.P. Koko, Dig Terry Evans

While listening to a very strange version of I Say a Little Prayer by Al Green on Truth N' Time his last "secular" album….well, before he started making them again. The title tune is my favorite on the album, tho. Yes, I bought the vinyl. Uh oh, now I'm in a vicsious cycle of listening to that title tune over and over. Good thing it feels good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

HERE'S THE DAVID FRIESEN INTERVIEW, AS PROMISED

I wanted to have David come to the studio and spend some time talking on the air but he had to go to Los Angeles to play in a tribute gig for Bud Shank. So he called. The clip starts with a tune from his wonderful new album Five and Three which is a 2CD set featuring a quintet of him, John Gross and Rob Davis on saxes, Charlie Doggett and Gary Hobbs on drums and Dan Balmer on guitar. The trio is David, Rob Davis and Greg Goebel on piano.

Enjoy:



Dropped in to Jimmy Mak's last Friday to have praised heaped upon me for heaping praise on Friesen and band…having encapsulated their album into about 150 words in the O. I accepted graciously. I need all the props I can get.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

HERE COMES THE BLUES FESTIVAL
BLUES FESTIVAL!!


They've begun selling early bird tickets….bargains, you know. Click on the link above to find out.

I'll have a lot more to say about it as we get closer. I have a meeting this week to see what the O wants outta me. So till I find out what I'm selling and what I'm giving away, I wanted you to hear Terry Evans, whom I have never seen. After hearing this clip I can't wait. Hope you feel the same way.

It's called, The River from his album Come To the River



Speaking of which, it's a shame that Koko Taylor died this week. There's a great vid of the young Koko with Little Walter:



- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

PAUL NEWMAN AND MILES DAVIS IN THE SAME THEATER ON THE SAME NIGHT

At Cinema 21 on Saturday night you can see The Hustler and a Miles Davis concert film from 1991. Yeah, I know nobody liked what he was doing then, but in the intervening years, I'm pretty curious to see what became of him. I'll be on the air. Oh well. I expect reports.

It's a new print of The Hustler. In the lobby Brian Casey and Brett White, a bass/trumpet duo will be playing. All starts at 9:30.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

MARCHING UNDER AND OVER THE BRIDGE

The Lions of Batucada will be playing a set under the Hawthorne Bridge on Sunday, June 7 and then leading a parade to the Terry Shrunk Plaza as part of the "United For Oregon" rally….about state budget cuts that will eliminate many services now provided for seniors and kids. (Bastards)

Starts at noon. In case you need a reminder:



- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NEED SOME SOOTHING?



- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It's too nice to keep typing, and you've gotten your money's worth.

Pass this blog on!
…and leave a comment!!!


Listen to my KMHD show on Saturday nights 10pm-2am. Jazz till 12 and then The Bar opens at Midnight! Studio line 503-661-8900…call me sometime, it gets lonely out there!

Email me at tvdpdx@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. so where can i listen to that al green tune?
    he is coming to edgefield in august!
    whoo - whoo all the women want to go.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.